Monday, January 29, 2007

January 29: Square

Anne Lamott says to write enough to fill a box that is one-square inch. Even that has been a chore for the past few days. For some reason, I manage to resist even the bare minimum of goals when I can't focus, and I'm worried about not writing to meet my standards, and I'm busy, and I... Just excuses really. The busyness takes over and all discipline flies out the window. Prayer/meditation, journaling, running, and evening writing have been sporadic for a couple of weeks now.

I know the difference the disciplines make, though. I feel better, function better, and that's motivation enough to get back on track. No shame. No beating myself up.

Tomorrow is a new day.

7 comments:

Littlemankitty said...

I find it hard to do anything every day.

Marie said...

We already know I have a hard time with such discipline. I think the struggle itself is part of the journey.

Mystic said...

Hi Linda, thanks so much for stopping by my new blog. I think it´s going to be like therapy to be able to vent about everything that´s bugging me lol.

Take care! :)

Scrivener said...

What a great little meta-post.

I've been not-so-great with the writing for a few weeks now, too, though I am keeping up with the photo blog for now at least.

Unknown said...

I resist the dailyness on some level, too. One square inch, huh?

Billie said...

How great to bring Anne Lamott's 1" frame into the mix. I needed to think about this image and that writing is really hard work. (Ok, well, we already knew that!) Filling a 1" frame . . . well, not quite as hard as filling a whole piece of paper or a whole computer screen. :-) Thanks for this.

Scrivener said...

As I come back and see this post, I find myself turning this image into something more troubling. Like, it's supposed to be reassuring, right? Fill up a 1" square of paper with words. But I keep seeing this "write enough to fill a box that is one-square inch" and picturing a three-dimensional box, and words written over and over on top of one another in an attempt to fill the box to the top, but the words only have two dimensions and the box is never filled.

Am I just a lunatic? Ok, don't answer that one.